This is why you should read every day.
1. Mental Stimulation: Just like any other muscle, the brain needs exercise to keep it healthy.
2. Stress Reduction: Had a bad day at work? Read a book set in Hawaii. Think your job is boring? Read a book about being a spy. Go to another world less stressful than your own.
3. Knowledge: Knowledge can never be taken from you.
4. Vocabulary Expansion: Those who are well-read, well-spoken, and knowledgeable on a variety of topics tend to get promotions more quickly (and often).
5. Memory Improvement: Every new memory (character names, plot changes, settings) creates new brain pathways and strengthens existing ones which helps with memory recall.
6. Stronger Analytical Thinking Skills: Trying to figure out the plot or “whodunnit” in books encourages analytical thinking skills that can also be used in real life situations.
7. Improved Focus & Concentration: Multi-tasking causes stress levels to rise. Reading for 10-15 minutes daily helps you immerse yourself in the story & let the rest of the world fall away. Even after you’re done reading because of this feeling & reduction of stress you will be able to more fully focus on your next task.
8. Better Writing Skills: Back to number 4. Better vocabulary, better writing. Reading the many different styles of author’s you will learn what you like and how you want to write based on your vast knowledge through reading.
9. Tranquility: Back to number 2. The subject you’re reading about can help you reduce stress or even bring inner peace & tranquility (ex. reading religious texts or self-help books).
10. Free Entertainment: Needs no explanation.
Read full article here.