Great article in Huffington Post about reading to your child.
If you want a child to become “a lifelong reader,” try these tips:
1) Pick 15-20 minutes each night to read to your child.
2) Pick a cozy place to read.
3) Choose fun voices for the characters.
4) Let your child choose the book or choose it together.
5) Encourage conversation throughout.
6) Model great reading habits.
7) Let your child read to you sometimes or read together!
8) Share some tea or a cookie while you read.
9) Make reading fun! Don’t assign comprehension questions or print quizzes.
10) Picture books are great literature too! Don’t only read chapter books!